Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    I was just sitting around on lunch talking to a friend at work and this kind of came to me. Here is the new name for the PV-Appy combined school.

    Stonega High Stallions. they will play their football games on Tom Turner field at Phil Robbins Stadium in Big Stone Gap.

    Because Appy actually loses the school in their town I'm going to give them a little more in the naming rights because Big Stone will still have a school. the name pays tribute to 2 Appy legends and might help make the people of Appalachia feel more connected to a school not in their town. Pays tribute to a PV legend.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    As an outsider w/o Appy/PV connections, I like it.

    I don't know if it was you or someone else who said it on the Sports board thread, but I like the idea of a combined "Hall of Champions" in the new school that has all the trophies and championships that PV/Appy have won in their histories, intermingled w/o any one title in particular being front & center above the others. That should also go for all the academic superlatives/trophies that are on display at both schools. I think every consolidated school should do something like this.

    I think the key to seeing consolidation work anywhere is breaking through the mentality that the smaller schools' traditions are completely lost. If the atmosphere and culture stresses that the histories of each school are being merged into something better than before--then the transition will be a much easier process. Any lines drawn between Dawgs/Vikes, Cats/Indians, Knights/Deacons--will all need to be eradicated ASAP. The kids need to realize that any history of their former schools is being preserved through a stronger and better school that they are all now a part of.

    I think another great idea would be to give every kid in the new schools as much new school colors/mascot attire as possible for free. That way, every kid has it (no excuses) and it's put out there as OK to wear. It also sets the tone for the new culture and the merging of the personalities under a common mascot/colors. That idea may run into a little bit of money, getting all of the tshirts/hoodies/hats together, but it would go a long way towards really cementing the new identity amongst the student body.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    Two things wrong with that thought, although I do like it. #1 Where would the field and stadium be built and #2 It could not be at Bullitt Park as that place it like a sacred cow to the town of BSG. Renaming Bullitt Park would never happen.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    I dont really care for the name TBH. If they build a new school, no way it should be called Stonega, seeing as it wont be anywhere near Stonega.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    Can't say I care for it. We can all be certain the school wont be in Stonega. And Stonega is just one of many coal camps - doesn't add up to name a school after it when it's no more a shining star than any of the others. Andover Athletes? Rhoda Rockers? Exeter ...umm... not sure what to match up there lol
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    Exeter Executioners. You're welcome.

    And I won't speak for starbuck, but I don't think the intent of "Stonega High Stallions" was to describe the location, but more a nod to Edd Clark, who from what I can tell in my dealings with PV/Appy fans alike, is a historical figure that both sets of fans can look up to. Hell, I went to Coeburn and I think the world of the Stonega Stallion--thusly why I liked the idea. Clark is a guy that kind of combines the sports histories of both schools really--b/c, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Clarks/Joneses related? Cousins maybe?
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    Exeter Executioners. You're welcome.

    And I won't speak for starbuck, but I don't think the intent of "Stonega High Stallions" was to describe the location, but more a nod to Edd Clark, who from what I can tell in my dealings with PV/Appy fans alike, is a historical figure that both sets of fans can look up to. Hell, I went to Coeburn and I think the world of the Stonega Stallion--thusly why I liked the idea. Clark is a guy that kind of combines the sports histories of both schools really--b/c, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Clarks/Joneses related? Cousins maybe?
    Edd died like he played, a local hero. He died trying to save a child in the ocean. Like I said I like the name for that reason, but it will never work. Yes, the Jones's and Clarks are related. Betty(Thomas and Julius' mom) is Edd's sister. Edd was their uncle.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member The_Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2008
    Posts
    271
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    What I think is, that 3 schools being consolodated into 3 schools will cause more problems than most people realize. Just changing the name of the high school doesn't solve the issues that will develop once this plan is implemented. I predict there will be some major conflicts.
    When you become senile, you won't know it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sage View Post
    What I think is, that 3 schools being consolodated into 3 schools will cause more problems than most people realize. Just changing the name of the high school doesn't solve the issues that will develop once this plan is implemented. I predict there will be some major conflicts.
    Agreed, but really it's up to the leadership of each school to change the culture in different ways like I talked about in my first post in this thread. Make these kids prouder of this new school than they ever were of the old ones, and they'll defend it as vociferously as they did the old school.

    It will be a process complete with it's own growing pains, no doubt, but things like names and colors can make a difference in the long run when you're trying to build new traditions and cultures.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what do you think about this PV-Appy thought

    Appy Valley Viking Dawgs

    (Bulldog with a viking helmet.)

    Make it happen, somebody. And give me credit. Or else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •